Tauranga Boys’ College believes that the reputation of the College is often judged by the way students present themselves both at school and in public. The mandatory wearing of a school uniform for all students attending Tauranga Boys’ College has been ratified by the School Community Meeting April 28, 1993, the Board of Trustees in 1995, 2003, 2015 and 2020 and by a parental survey in 2003.
The college uniform will be worn complete, on the way to and from school, and should be worn in such a manner as to reflect credit upon the wearer.
1. Students' appearance must be neat and tidy. Hair must be clear of the eyes. Long hair, lower than the bottom of the collar, is permitted, provided that it is tied back.
2. Boys hair colour is to be their natural hair colour only (no dye or bleaching). Skinhead cuts, mohawks and lines shaved into the hair are unacceptable. Decoration headwear and/or ties, tape or beads may not be worn in the hair unless there is a significant religious reason. E.g. turbans.
3. Students must be clean shaven, an exemption may be sought for religious reasons only.
4. Students may wear taonga/necklaces/bangles for cultural or religious reasons only.
5. Jewellery (rings, anklets, earrings, studs or other piercings) must not be worn. Note: covering rings or studs with sticking plaster or using spacers/fishing nylon is not permissible.
6. Students with incorrect footwear will be required to replace them with a pair of school sandals for the duration of the school day unless they have a medical reason (with a medical note) for wearing modified footwear (in which case they must get a uniform pass from an SLT member or Dean).
7 Tattoos are permitted, but they must not contain any inappropriate or offensive text, symbol or image. If this is the case then they must be covered at all times.
1. Uniform for Year 9-12 is a navy polo shirt with discobolus/crest and grey shorts with discobolus/crest with school jacket or navy jersey. A plain white t-shirt may be worn tidily underneath the polo. Long sleeve shirts/polyprops are not allowed.
2. Footwear: plain black lace up or slip-on school shoes that are hard soled, have a heel and are able to be nuggeted, may be worn year round with grey school socks. Plain brown or black sandals must have a front strap, secured by a buckle or velcro, and a heel strap, may also be worn all year round. Flat soled canvas/sport or skate type shoes are not permitted.
3. Walking out dress (Number 1’s) may be worn on the appropriate occasions.
4. The Senior Uniform (by Principal’s approval) is a white polo shirt with discobolus/crest with school jacket, or sky blue jersey. Shorts are navy blue with discobolus/crest with plain white ankle socks, black nuggetable lace-up or slip-on hard soled school shoes, or approved plain black or brown sandals. A plain white short sleeved t-shirt may be worn tidily underneath the polo.