Exam Rules - Home - Tauranga Boys' College
Arrive at least 20 minutes before the exam starts.
If you arrive more than 30 minutes after the exam has started you will not be able to sit the exam or enter an exam room.
Students cannot leave in the first 45 minutes or the last 15 minutes of the examination, even to use the toilet.
NO early leaving for one-hour exams.
Entry of students
- Students with a uniform exemption will need a pass signed by AP/ DP/ Dean only.
- Students will be immediately referred to the DP where they do not comply.
- Clear plastic bags ONLY - no coloured bags, no pencil cases etc. Bags to be placed at the front of rooms.
- No phones or watches of any kind. Phones must be switched off and place in schoolbag.
Students who miss exams during exam week
- Students who miss exams have the responsibility to contact Mr Gilbert to arrange for an alternative time during exam week.
- Students who do not provide a note/medical certificate within 3 school days of return will ‘not achieve’ in all the standards examined in the exam.
See also: TBC Assessment Policies
- Students are responsible for taking the correct equipment to the exam and making sure that it is working.
- Bring equipment into the exam room in a clear plastic bag. Students can bring:
- pens (black and blue colours are permitted) pencils and an eraser
- an approved calculator for subjects where a calculator has been used during the year.
- Calculators must be silent, hand-held, non-printing and work from their own power. Students cannot keep notes, routines or store files in the calculator memory. Teachers or supervisors will check the calculator memory is cleared before it can be brought into the exam room.
Emergency evacuation and student pack
- Students are allowed to bring items for an emergency evacuation into the examination room in a clear, sealable plastic bag. This pack must stay under the chair and not be touched or opened without the permission of the supervisor. Contents could include a mobile phone (switched off) or other electronic device, keys, money, bus pass and medicines.
Do not bring the following items into an exam room unless sealed in the emergency evacuation pack:
- blank paper or refill paper
- correcting fluid
- books, written notes or electronic notes
- cell phones or pagers
- English dictionaries, foreign language dictionaries, or te reo Māori dictionaries or translators
- watches of any type (digital or analogue)
- any electronic device which has the capability to store, communicate and/or retrieve information except approved calculators.
During the exam
- not borrow equipment from someone else
- not talk to, communicate with, or do anything to disturb other students
- not read or copy another student's work.
- put your hand up if you have a problem
- follow all the instructions on the front cover of the exam booklet
- use only black or blue pen
- not write in pencil unless instructed to do so. Work in pencil or erasable pen will not be accepted if a student applies for review or reconsideration
- write neatly, so the marker can read the answers
- cross out any work they do not want marked
- not write or draw anything that may be regarded as offensive
- not write to the marker or write in the part of the answer booklet 'For assessor's use only'
- not write answers for one standard in the answer booklet for another. Where students fill up their answer booklet, they may request extra paper
- fill in their details at the top of any additional sheets of paper provided and put them inside the answer booklet.
At the end of the exam
Students must stop writing when the supervisor tells them to. They must hand all material to be marked to the supervisor before they leave. If they take any work outside the examination room, it will not be marked.